Learn About Hunger
While the entire Hunger Notes website is devoted to helping our readers learn more about hunger and poverty, this department focuses specifically on learning resources of various types.
Hunger and poverty facts Brief fact sheets on hunger worldwide and in the United States.
- Food Loss and Waste in the United States and Worldwide
- Facts About Famine
- World hunger and poverty facts
- United States hunger and poverty facts
- Africa hunger and poverty facts
- Asia hunger facts
- Latin America hunger facts
- World child hunger
- Women and hunger
- Hunger and nutrition
- HIVAIDS, Undernutrition and Food Insecurity
Hunger quizzes Information and questions on key hunger issues, such as how many people are hungry and what does long-term hunger feel like. [When you take one of these quizzes, Hunger Notes makes a small donation ($.10 to $.02) to anti-hunger organizations. As many people take the quizzes, the donations add up.]
- Understanding Food Loss and Waste
- What does long term hunger feel like?
- Understanding key definitions for hunger
- How many people are hungry in the world?
- How many people are very food insecure in the United States?
- Hunger in the United States and the U.S. food system
- Hunger and Nutrition Quiz
Hunger Notes special reports There are key issues affecting poor people. Hunger Notes has tried to follow several of the most important:
- Food as a human right (2009)
John Rimui grows tomarillo, also known as ‘tree tomatoes’, an egg-shaped edible fruit. The fruits are high in vitamins and iron. Leshau, Nyandarua County, Kenya. 2013. ©IFAD/Susan Beccio
Hunger pictures and stories
- World hunger pictures and stories Stories that tell something about the life of hungry and poor people, with accompanying pictures.
- US hunger pictures and stories Stories that tell something about the life of poor and often hungry people in the United States, with accompanying pictures.
Material that can be downloaded and printed.
- Don’t be blind, world hunger exists [eye] designed by Kamaron Owens, Virginia Commonwealth University (PDF file)
- Don’t be blind, world hunger exists [eyechart] designed by Kamaron Owens, Virginia Commonwealth University (PDF file)
- Children and Hunger (HTML 8.5 x 14) Children and Hunger (MS Word 8.5 x 14)
- Links to other websites HN has tried to select the best websites that can tell you more about developing countries and the forces that determine why people are hungry and poor.
- Hunger Notes 40th Anniversary Reader A collection of articles and issues from the 40 years that Hunger Notes has been published.