Detroit race wall located on Birwood Street that once separated whites and blacks now haven for art

by Jeff Karoub

A section of a half-mile long concrete wall, six feet tall and a foot or so thick, now covered with murals, built in the 1940s is shown in Detroit, March 28, 2013. The wall was built with a simple aim—to separate blacks and whites.

DETROIT — When Eva Nelson-Mc Clendon first moved to Detroit’s Birwood Street in 1959, she didn’t know much about the wall across the street. At 6 feet tall and a foot thick, it wasn’t so imposing, running as it did between houses on her street and one over. Then she started to hear the talk.